The Official Biography of The Most Venerable Thích Nguyên Chứng

Biography of The Most Venerable Thích Nguyên Chứng
Dharma / Pen Name: Tuệ Sỹ


The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ (TTS), birth name Phạm Văn Thương, was born on February 15, 1943, as per his birth certificate (his family increased his age for schooling). His real birth date was April 5, 1945 (February 23 of the Year of the Rooster) in Paksé province, Laos.
Father: Mr. Phạm Văn Phận, Dharma name Trung Thảo.
Mother: Mrs. Đặng Thị Chín, Dharma name Diệu Chánh.
Both parents were originally from Nghĩa Ninh, Đồng Hới, capital city of Quảng Bình province, Central Vietnam. 

When he was young he used to accompany his mother to the village Buddhist pagoda close to their house, which was what eventually led him to the point where he wanted to spend all of his time at the pagoda and not return home. During wartime in 1952, his parents sent him to the Trang Nghiêm pagoda in Tân An village, Pakse province, Laos, to assist the founding Venerable.  In 1954 he was ordained as a Novice at this pagoda at the age of nine. At 12 years old he was encouraged to return to Vietnam to continue his studies when the pagoda’s Abbot recognized his special qualities and abilities. In 1960 he returned to Vietnam by himself and lived at Bồ đề Pagoda, close to the Gia Hội Bridge in Hue. His main possession at the time was the Diệu Pháp Lotus Sutra, written in Chinese. That Sutra was lost in the Từ Đàm Pagoda in Huế as a result of the 1968 Tết Offensive. His uncle was The Most Venerable Thích Trí Quang, a well-known Buddhist leader from the 1960s who lived in Huế at the time.

However, due to his independent nature, he traveled alone through places like Huế, Nha Trang, Saigon, Tiền Giang, and other southern provinces. He lived and studied in both big and small pagodas. In 1961, at 16, he was ordained as a novice monk with The Most Venerable Thích Hành Trụ in Saigon. Eventually, he was accepted by The Most Venerable Thích Trí Thủ into the Quảng Hương Già-lam Zen Monastery in Gò Vấp, Saigon. TTS graduated from the Saigon College of Buddhist Studies in 1964 and from the Faculty of Buddhist Studies at Vạn Hạnh University in 1965. After his research on Câu-xá luận, The Most Venerable Thích Mãn Giác, then the Vice-President, proposed to grant him a Bachelor degree from Vạn Hạnh University, but he respectfully declined. 

In 1970, he was appointed as a professor at Vạn Hạnh University due to the excellence of his Buddhist research works and philosophical treatises. Among his contributions, the ‘Outline of Meditation’ (published by Liên Hoa in 1967) and the ‘Philosophy of Emptiness’ (published in Saigon by An Tiêm in 1970) stood out. From 1972-1973, he served as professor and head of the Buddhist Studies department at the same university. He was fluent in classical Chinese and also knew English, French, Lao, Thai, and Japanese. He was also fluent in Pali and Sanskrit, two ancient languages. In addition to reading and comprehending German, he meticulously studied the works of Heidegger and Hoelderlin. Before 1975, he translated, printed, and republished the second and third volumes of D.T. Suzuki’s famous ‘Essays in Zen Buddhism multiple times. 

In 1973, the Most Venerable Thích Trí Thủ noted that Tuệ Sỹ was deeply engrossed in research and teaching. He advised him to prepare for  ordination as Bhikkhu (Upasampada). Consequently, the novice monk Tuệ Sỹ officially received full ordination at the Phước Huệ Great Ordination Platform held at the Buddhist Academy in Central Vietnam in Nha Trang in 1973, led by The Most Venerable Thích Phúc Hộ. Other prominent figures at the ceremony included The Most Venerable (Kammavācācariya – Yết Ma) Thích Giác Tánh, The Most Venerable Acarya Thích Trí Nghiêm, and The Most Venerable Acarya Thích Huệ Hưng.

The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ was well-versed not only in Theravāda Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism but also in Western philosophy, literature, poetry and music. TTS conducted his research and studies from the original works of renowned Chinese authors and poets, including Su Dongpo (Tô Đông Pha), Li He (Lý Hạ), Du Fu (Đỗ Phủ), and others. Beyond philosophical and Buddhist discourses, TTS authored the intriguing work ‘Tô Đông Pha, The Distant Dreamy Skies’ (1973, Ca Dao, Saigon). TTS was also a musician who played the guitar, violin, piano, and flute. He was well-versed in both traditional Vietnamese music and Western classical. A large volume of his works, poetries, short stories, philosophical essays, and outstanding literary critiques appeared in the Saigon-based magazines “Khởi Hành” (1969-1972) and “Thời Tập” (1973-1975). TTS was the editor-in-chief of Vạn Hạnh University’s “Tư Tưởng—Thought” magazine. His extraordinary poetry publication, written in Chinese, ‘Ngục Trung Mỵ Ngữ,’ was composed during his imprisonment after 1975. His poetry collections ‘Giấc mơ Trường sơn’ (the Trường Sơn Dream [Annamite Mountain Range Dream]), ‘Những điệp khúc cho dương cầm (Refrains for Piano), and Thiên lý độc hành’ (Odyssey Unto Self)  were later translated and extensively published internationally in English, French, and Japanese.

At an early age, TTS memorized the Lotus Sutra, Vajracchedika, Śrīmālā-siṃhanāda-sūtra (The Sutra of Queen Śrīmālā of the Lion’s Roar), and Vimalakirti Sutra, which are filled with tales of Bodhisattvas who self-sacrificed to save suffering sentient beings. The Vimalakirti Sutra emphasizes the spirit of living the path without monk’s robes or other overt religious manifestations. A lay Bodhisattva named Vimalakirti once profoundly stated, “My malady is the ailment of sentient beings. So long as any sentient being suffers, I will continue to suffer to serve them.” Inspired by this ideal, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ composed the discourse “The Legend of Vimalakirti” using his extensive Buddhist knowledge. TTS devoted himself wholeheartedly to becoming a symbol of the non-violent fight for human rights and religious liberty in Vietnam. 

In 1973, he moved to Nha Trang to take the position of academic coordinator of the Hải Đức College of Buddhist Studies. 

After the event of 30 April 1975, this institution was shut down. TTS retreated to a monastery plot on the fringes of Vạn Giã forest, approximately 60 kilometers from Nha Trang. 

By 1977, he relocated to Saigon and resided in the Gò Vấp district at Già Lam Temple. Beginning in 1978, the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam imprisoned him without trial for three years for staying without a registrational permit. His release occurred in early 1981.

Due to the circumstances of several years of wandering and being in prison, realizing that his precepts were affected and possibly impure (*), he was fully re-ordained a  Bikkhu in Quảng Hương Già-lam in 1982 by the Most Venerable Thích Trí Thủ, who led the ceremony, the Most Venerable Thích Trí Quang as Venerable Witness, and the Most Venerable. Thích Trí Tịnh delivered the Upasampadā Precepts.

The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ was a Dharma instructor for a special training course at Quảng Hương Già Lam Monastery from 1981 to 1984, under The Most Venerable Thích Trí Thủ serving as the Director of Institute.

In April 1984, TTS was detained along with Professor Trí Siêu Lê Mạnh Thát and 17 monks and Buddhist lay people. The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ and Professor Trí Siêu Lê Mạnh Thát were sentenced to DEATH for “conspiring to overthrow the government” after a multi-day trial held at the end of September 1988. The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ and Professor Trí Siêu chose to represent themselves and did not take state-appointed defense attorneys. Due to the active intervention of domestic and foreign intellectuals and activists, as well as international human rights organizations, Hanoi swiftly reduced the sentence to 20 years of hard labor, imprisoning TTS in Xuân Lộc, Đồng Nai, and later transferring him to camp A-20 in Phu Yen province. Because of his resistance in prison, TTS was isolated and transferred to the North in October 1994. Human Rights Watch presented the Hellman-Hammett Awards for human rights activism to The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ and seven other activists on August 3, 1998. 

In 1998 Hanoi released TTS along with several others. Before his discharge from prison, TTS had been on a hunger strike. Before releasing him the authorities compelled TTS to submit a petition to the president “requesting amnesty.” “We do not recognize the validity of this trial or the legality of this verdict.” TTS responded: “If you have no right to detain us, how can you have the right to absolve or grant us amnesty?” Without the petition, there would be no grounds for release, according to the police. TTS replied firmly, “That’s your problem, but if you keep pressuring us to sign the petition, I will go on hunger strike in protest.” TTS was released by Hanoi on September 1, 1998, after he had gone ten days without sustenance and four days without water, for a total of fourteen days. The hunger strike of The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ was a solitary act that was unseen by any organization or the outside world.

Seeing TTS’s swift deterioration in health, the authorities immediately dispatched a doctor and released him from prison. 

At 10:45 a.m. on September 2, 1998, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ was placed on a train bound for the South. After 36 hours of train travel, and with his health severely compromised by the hunger strike, TTS was unable to continue. He was dropped off at the Nha Trang station before lodging temporarily at the Hải Đức Buddhist Institute. The authorities ordered him to return to Già Lam Temple in Saigon and not to remain near Nha Trang. He refused, stating in a letter to the authorities, “You cannot release me from a small prison only to confine me to a larger prison, which is this entire country.” The international press promptly reported this news at the time.

The author of Những Phương Trời Viễn Mộng (“Distant Dreaming Horizons”) confronted the death penalty, 17 years of imprisonment, house arrest three times, and harsh prisons in the country’s South, Center and North. However, such adversity could not deter a person who chose to live in complete accordance with his values.

In April 1999, The Most Venerable Thích Quảng Độ nominated The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ for the position of Secretary-General of the Viện Hóa Đạo of GHPGVNTN (The Institute for the Dissemination of Dharma of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam).

In 2002, as the First Deputy Head of the Institute for the Dissemination of Dharma, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ played a prominent position within the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam. Together with the revered monks The Most Venerable Thích Huyền Quang and The Most Venerable Thích Quảng Độ, he made significant contributions to the promotion of religious freedom in Vietnam, particularly the right to reactivate the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam.

The statements of the religious prisoner of conscience The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ in court and his resolute spirit while incarcerated serve as a shining example and a source of national pride for Buddhism and the nation: “Our stance is the stance of Buddhism and the stance of the entire national bloc.” Buddhism’s strength, according to The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ, lies not in politics but in culture and society, where education plays a crucial role. However, this educational endeavor must be initiated by a religious organization that is free from external control or imposition. Only then can they hope to raise generations of monks and nuns endowed with the virtue and talent required to serve society and worthy of ranking in Sangha’s linage.

Subsequently, in early March 2003, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ accompanied senior monk The Most Venerable Thích Huyền Quang from his house arrest location at Quảng Hương Già-Lam to Hanoi for medical treatment and to prepare for a meeting with Mr. Phan Văn Khải, the then Prime Minister of Vietnam. The purpose of this meeting was to request that the Prime Minister address the suspension of the activities of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam since 1975 and the unjust prohibition and control over The Most Venerable Thích Huyền Quang, The Most Venerable Thích Quang Độ, and several other monks and adherents. On this occasion, diplomatic representatives from six member nations of the European Union and the United States met the Venerable and invited him to visit the diplomatic offices of the European Union in Hanoi. They requested that the Venerable come to them alone, without a companion or translator.

On October 1, 2003, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ, together with the most venerable monks Thích Huyền Quang and Thích Quảng Độ, convened an Extraordinary General Assembly of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam (GHPGVNTN) at Nguyên Thiều Monastery, Bình Định. Following this congress, the two most senior monks, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ, and several participating monks were placed under house arrest and subjected to strict government surveillance. However, with an undeterred spirit, The Most Venerable stood with his two most senior leaders, The Most Venerable Thích Huyền Quang and The Most Venerable Thích Quảng Độ, entrusting overseas branches of GHPGVNTN to convene a congress abroad at Quảng Đức Monastery in Melbourne, Australia, in the same year, 2003.  This congress formally proclaimed the Church’s domestic and international leadership. The most Senior Monk, Thích Huyền Quang was elevated to the Fourth Supreme Patriarch of the GHPGVNTN by the congregation.

In 2008, The Most Venerable Thích Huyền Quang, the fourth supreme patriarch of GHPGVNTN, demised. Senior Monk Thích Quảng Độ, who became the Fifth Supreme Patriarch of GHPGVNTN, assumed his position.

The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ subsequently devoted his time and energy to literary labor, the translation of Buddhist scriptures, and the instruction of monks in the study and translation of Buddhist classics. During this time, he completed translations and revisions of four sets of scriptures: Āgama (A-hàm), Vimalakirti Sutra, the Four-Part Vinaya, and numerous other works, including Discourse on the Perfection of Consciousness-only and Abhidharmakośa (A-tì-đạt-ma Câu-xá) and other verses.

In March 2019, the Fifth Supreme Patriarch of GHPGVNTN invited The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ to meet him at the Từ Hiếu temple in District 8, Saigon, to confer the final words and seal of the Supreme Central Council Sangha (Sangharaja Institute) of GHPGVNTN, entrusting The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ with the leadership and daily operations of the Sangharaja Institute after his passing.

In February 2020, the Fifth Supreme Patriarch of the GHPGVNTN passed away peacefully at the Từ Hiếu Temple. At the time, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ was receiving intensive medical treatment in Japan and was unable to return home due to the COVID pandemic.

As soon as commercial flights resumed in October 2020, TTS was among the first to return to Vietnam, despite doctors in Japan advising him to remain for treatment and warning that he might not live beyond six months if he left.

The COVID-19 pandemic reemerged in 2021 in Asia, including Vietnam, with the most severe outbreak occurring in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Due to the authorities’ stringent lockdowns, almost all medical services were suspended, except for COVID-19 treatment. Despite these obstacles and his health condition, the Venerable battled his grievous illness with fortitude and resolve. Every day, he sat at his desk translating scriptures, revising works, and organizing the catalog for the translation project of the Vietnamese Buddhist Canon to meet international academic standards.

In November 2021, The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ presided over the first meeting of the Dharma Council and decided to form a Provisional Tripitaka Translation Council. This council would replace the Tripitaka Translation Council, which was established in 1973 by senior monks of the Central Religious Council—the Supreme Central Council Sangha (Sangharaja Institute) of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam. However, the original council’s operations were, later on, interrupted by the conflict and other obstacles.

According to Order No. 11/VTT/VP, the Provisional Tripitaka Translation Council was formally constituted on December 3, 2021. Translation, revision, textual verification, and printing duties were subsequently expedited per established procedures. Ultimately, 29 volumes were scheduled for publication in 2022. This endeavor received contributions and support from senior monks to ordinary monks and Buddhists domestically and internationally, laying the groundwork for the current Council to continue the Vietnamese Buddhist Canon project initiated by the Tripitaka Translation Council General Assembly in October 1973.

On August 21, at Phật Ân Temple in Long Thành, Đồng Nai, the Central Religious Affairs Council of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam (UBCV) elected Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ to assume the responsibilities of the Chief Secretary cum Standing Chief Executor and handle the regular duties of the Supreme Central Council Sangha.

On August 22 at Từ Hiếu Temple in District 8, Saigon, a ceremony was held to confer the seal to the Venerable and inaugurate the Supreme Central Council Sangha.

Since then, the Venerable has devoted all his remaining time and energy to focusing on translating Buddhist scriptures, editing, and validating the translations of works by younger generations.

In his final days, from his sickbed, the Venerable meticulously arranged and instructed the necessary tasks for the UBCV and the Vietnamese Buddhist Canon translation project for the Councils. He serenely passed away at Phật Ân Temple, Long Thanh district, Đồng Nai province, Vietnam, at 16:00 on November 24, 2023, corresponding to the 12th day of the 10th month in the Year of the Cat, at the age of 79, having devoted 46 vassas to monastic life.

The departure of The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ is not only a great loss for the UBCV but also a shared sorrow for Vietnamese Buddhism, as well as the regrettable loss of a national intellectual and cultural treasure. However, the Venerable left behind a vast cultural and educational legacy that legitimately provides essential nourishment for both scholars and present-day and future practitioners.

Homage to the 44th generation of the True Lam Te Sect, the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam, the Chief Secretary of the Supreme Central Council Sangha (Sangharaja Institute), ordained under Dharma name: first (name) NGUYÊN, last (name) CHỨNG, and titled TUỆ SỸ, The Most Venerable Elder.

Saigon, November 24, 2023
Compiled by the Dharma disciples and relatives.

(*) In Buddhist monastic tradition, the seniority of a monk, often referred to in terms of ‘Observing the Precepts Age’ (Giới lạp), is determined by the number of years since their complete ordination. On the other hand, ‘Hạ Lạp’ refers to the number of summer retreats a monk has completed. The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ, who was fully ordained in 1973, has accumulated fifty years of precepts by the time of his passing in 2023. However, during his youth, The Most Venerable  Thích Tuệ Sỹ chose to reduce the four years he spent wandering and in imprisonment. He believed these years did not contribute to his spiritual purity and monastic discipline, as he felt that “his observing precepts entity can be affected and not pure” during such times. Respecting their teacher’s perspective, his Dharma disciples officially recorded forty-six precepts for The Most Venerable Thích Tuệ Sỹ, aligning with his expressed intentions.


Hiệu: Tuệ Sỹ


Hòa thượng Thích Tuệ Sỹ, thế danh Phạm Văn Thương, sinh ngày 15-2-1943 theo khai sanh (gia đình khai tăng tuổi để thầy đi học), tuổi thật sinh ngày 05 tháng 4 năm 1945 (nhằm ngày 23 tháng 02 năm Ất dậu), tại tỉnh Paksé, Lào;

Thân phụ: Cụ ông Phạm Văn Phận, Pháp danh Trung Thảo, Thân mẫu: Cụ bà Đặng Thị Chín, Pháp danh Diệu Chánh,

Đồng nguyên quán xã Nghĩa Ninh, Đồng Hới, Quảng Bình, Trung phần Việt Nam.

Thuở nhỏ Thầy thường được theo mẹ đi chùa làng gần nhà, là nhân duyên để đến lúc Thầy chỉ muốn ở chùa không về nhà nữa. Năm 1952, do chạy giặc, Thầy được cha mẹ gởi lên chùa hành điệu hầu sư phụ là Hòa thượng khai sơn chùa Trang Nghiêm, làng Tân An, tỉnh Paksé, Lào. Năm 1954, 9 tuổi, Thầy chính thức được thế phát xuất gia tại chùa này. Đến năm 12 tuổi, vị Trụ trì chùa nhận thấy khả năng và thiên tư đặc biệt của người học trò này, đã khuyên gia đình nên đưa Thầy về Việt Nam để rộng đường tu học. Năm 1960 Thầy trở về Việt Nam, sống xa gia đình tại chùa Bồ đề, một ngôi chùa nhỏ gần cầu Gia Hội, Huế. Hành trang Thầy lúc đó là bộ Diệu Pháp Liên Hoa Kinh chữ Hán Thầy luôn giữ bên mình, đến năm 1968 do biến cố Tết Mậu thân mới bị lạc mất ở chùa Từ Đàm, Huế. Chú của Thầy là Hòa thượng Thích Trí Quang, một nhà lãnh đạo nổi danh của Phật Giáo trong thập niên 1960, lúc ấy cũng đang sống tại Huế.

Tuy vậy với bản tính độc lập, Thầy đã một mình giong ruổi qua các địa phương: Huế, Nha Trang, Sài Gòn, Tiền Giang và các tỉnh miền Nam, tự lập và sống nương nhờ các tự viện lớn nhỏ. Năm 1961, 16 tuổi, Thầy thọ giới Sa-di với Hòa thượng Thích Hành Trụ tại Sài Gòn. Năm này, Thầy thọ an cư Sa-di giới đầu tiên tại chùa Phật Ân, tỉnh Tiền Giang cùng với thầy Trí Minh. Sau cùng Thầy được Hòa thượng (viết tắt là HT) Thích Trí Thủ nhận về thiền viện Quảng Hương Già-lam ở Gò Vấp, Sài Gòn. Thầy tốt nghiệp Viện Cao Ðẳng Phật Học Sài Gòn năm 1964, học tại Viện Ðại Học Vạn Hạnh, Phân khoa Phật học niên khóa 1965. Với các bài viết về Thế Thân (Vasubandhu), về A-tỳ-đạt-ma câu-xá luận, HT Thích Đức Nhuận là người đầu tiên phát hiện tài năng của người tu sĩ trẻ, đã giới thiệu Thầy vào Viện ĐH Vạn Hạnh. HT Thích Mãn Giác phó Viện trưởng lúc đó đã đề nghị Viện trao bằng Cử nhân cho Thầy, nhưng Thầy xin phép được từ chối.

Thầy được đặc cách bổ nhiệm Giáo sư thực thụ Viện Ðại Học Vạn Hạnh từ năm 1970 nhờ những công trình nghiên cứu Phật học và những khảo luận Triết học có giá trị cao như Ðại Cương Về Thiền Quán, do Đại lão HT Thích Đôn Hậu giới thiệu, Liên Hoa ấn quán in 1967, Triết Học về Tánh Không (An Tiêm xuất bản, Saigon 1970), v.v… Sau đó Thầy kiêm Xử lý Khoa trưởng Phân khoa Phật học tại Đại học này (niên khóa 1972-1973). Thầy tinh thông chữ Hán, biết nhiều ngoại ngữ như Anh, Pháp, Lào, Thái, Nhật, Tây Tạng, thông thạo hai cổ ngữ Pali và Sanskrit. Thầy cũng đọc hiểu tiếng Ðức, nghiên cứu kỹ về Heidegger và Hoelderlin. Cuốn Thiền Luận nổi tiếng của D.T. Suzuki bản Việt ngữ tập 2 và 3 là do Thầy dịch, in và tái bản nhiều lần từ 1972 đến 1975.

Năm 1973, HT. Thích Trí Thủ thấy Thầy mãi lo việc nghiên cứu và giảng dạy, Ngài đã đốc thúc Thầy chuẩn bị thọ Đại giới Tỳ-kheo, và Sa-di Tuệ Sỹ đã chính thức thọ giới Cụ túc tại Đại giới đàn Phước Huệ tổ chức tại Phật học viện Trung phần, Nha Trang năm 1973, với HT. Đàn đầu Thích Phúc Hộ, HT. Yết-ma Thích Giác Tánh, Giáo thọ sư HT. Thích Trí Nghiêm, Thích Huệ Hưng.

HT. Tuệ Sỹ không chỉ uyên bác về Phật Giáo Nguyên Thủy và Ðại Thừa, Thầy còn tinh thông triết học Tây phương, văn chương, thơ, âm nhạc. HT nghiên cứu thẳng từ nguyên tác của các văn nhân, thi sĩ nổi tiếng của Trung quốc như Tô Đông Pha, Lý Hạ, Đỗ Phủ… Ngoài những khảo luận Triết học và Phật học, HT đã viết tác phẩm đầy thi vị: ‘Tô Ðông Pha, Những Phương Trời Viễn Mộng’ (Ca Dao xb, Sài Gòn, 1973). Về âm nhạc, HT chơi đàn guitar, violon, piano, thổi sáo. Thầy tìm hiểu âm nhạc dân tộc, lại rất am tường nhạc cổ điển Tây phương. HT làm nhiều thơ, viết một số truyện ngắn và các tiểu luận triết học, phê bình văn học đặc sắc, phần lớn đăng trên các tạp chí Khởi Hành (1969-1972) và Thời Tập (1973-1975) tại Sài Gòn. Đồng thời HT cũng là Tổng thư ký tòa soạn Tạp chí Tư Tưởng của Ðại học Vạn Hạnh. Tập thơ đặc sắc bằng chữ Hán, ‘Ngục trung mị ngữ’ được HT làm trong tù sau năm 1975, và các tập thơ ‘Giấc mơ Trường sơn’, ‘Những điệp khúc cho dương cầm’, ‘Thiên lý độc hành’ sau này đã được dịch ra Anh, Pháp, Nhật ngữ, phát hành rộng rãi tại hải ngoại.

Từ trẻ HT đã thuộc lòng các bộ Kinh Pháp Hoa, Kim Cang, Thắng Man, Duy-ma- cật… Duy-ma-cật sở thuyết là bộ kinh nêu cao tinh thần sống đạo mà chẳng cần y áo hay sự suy tôn kiểu cách. Có thể nói, tư tưởng Bồ-tát đạo trong kinh này và bộ kinh Pháp Hoa đã ảnh hưởng suốt cuộc đời tu học và hành Đạo của Thầy. Với kiến thức Phật Học uyên thâm, HT đã viết giảng luận “Huyền thoại Duy-ma-cật”, và đi theo hình mẫu lý tưởng này, HT đã không ngại dấn thân phụng sự, và ngài đã trở thành biểu tượng của sự đấu tranh ôn hòa cho các giá trị nhân quyền và tự do tôn giáo tại Việt Nam.

Năm 1973 HT về Nha Trang làm Giám học Phật học viện Trung phần (tức Viện Cao Đẳng Phật Học Hải Đức), do HT Thích Trí Thủ làm Giám Viện.

Năm 1975, HT Tuệ Sỹ đang phụ trách giảng dạy tại Phật học viện Trung phần, Nha Trang. Sau biến cố 30/4/1975, cơ sở này bị đóng cửa, HT về ẩn cư tại một miếng rẫy chùa ở ven rừng Vạn Giã, cách Nha Trang chừng 60 km.

Ðến năm 1977, HT vào Sài Gòn lánh nạn ở chùa Tập Thành quận Bình Thạnh. Năm 1978, HT bị nhà cầm quyền bắt giam 3 năm không xét xử (tội cư trú bất hợp pháp), cuối năm 1980 thì được phóng thích.

Do hoàn cảnh mấy năm lang thang và ở tù, nhận thấy giới thể bị ảnh hưởng, có thể không thanh tịnh (*), HT được thọ lại Đại giới Cụ túc tại Quảng Hương Già-lam năm 1982 do HT. Thích Trí Thủ làm đàn đầu, HT. Thích Trí Quang làm tôn chứng, HT. Thích Trí Tịnh làm tuyên luật sư.

Từ năm 1980 đến 1984, HT làm Giáo thọ sư cho khóa đào tạo đặc biệt tại Tu Viện Quảng Hương Già-lam do Trưởng Lão HT Thích Trí Thủ làm Giám Viện.

Tháng 4/1984, HT lại bị bắt cùng Giáo sư Trí Siêu Lê Mạnh Thát và 17 tăng ni, cư sĩ Phật tử. Trong phiên tòa kéo dài nhiều ngày vào cuối tháng 9 năm 1988, không chấp nhận luật sư chỉ định biện hộ mà hai thầy tự biện hộ cho mình, nhà cầm quyền đã kết án TỬ HÌNH hai Thầy Tuệ Sỹ và Trí Siêu vì tội “âm mưu lật đổ chính quyền”.

Do sự tranh đấu tích cực của các nhân sĩ trong và ngoài nước, cùng sự can thiệp của các cơ quan nhân quyền quốc tế, Hà Nội phải vội vã giảm án hai Thầy xuống còn 20 năm khổ sai, đem giam HT tại Xuân Lộc, Đồng Nai, sau đó chuyển riêng HT ra trại A-20 tỉnh Phú Yên. Tháng 10/1994, với sự phản kháng trong tù, HT bị nhà cầm quyền tách đưa ra trại giam Ba sao, miền Bắc. Hòa thượng Thích Tuệ Sỹ đã được Tổ chức Human Rights Watch trao giải thưởng tranh đấu nhân quyền (Hellman-Hammett Awards) cùng với 7 nhà đấu tranh khác vào ngày 03/8/1998.

Năm 1998, Hà Nội trả tự do cho Hòa thượng, cùng với một số người khác. Trước đó, HT đã tuyệt thực trong tù. Vì trước khi thả, nhà cầm quyền áp lực buộc HT ký vào lá đơn gửi ông Chủ tịch nước “xin khoan hồng”, HT đã trả lời nội dung: “Chúng tôi đã không công nhận giá trị của phiên tòa này, tính pháp lý của bản án này, các ông không có quyền giam giữ chúng tôi thì sao lại có quyền khoan hồng hay ân xá chúng tôi.” Công an thuyết phục: không viết đơn thì không có lý do để thả được. HT đã khẳng khái đáp: “Đó là việc của các ông; nhưng nếu các ông cứ áp lực buộc chúng tôi ký đơn, tôi sẽ tuyệt thực phản đối.” Và Hà Nội đã phải trả tự do cho HT vào ngày 01/9/1998, sau 10 ngày Thầy không ăn và tiếp theo cả không uống, tổng cộng 14 ngày. Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ tuyệt thực một mình, không có tổ chức, bên ngoài không biết. Thấy sức khoẻ HT suy sụp nhanh chóng, chính quyền đã vội đưa bác sĩ vào xin điều trị, và đưa Thầy ra khỏi trại giam.

Ngày 02/9/1998, lúc 10 giờ 45, Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ được đưa lên xe lửa về Nam. Ngồi suốt 36 tiếng đồng hồ trên xe với sức khỏe rất yếu sau khi tuyệt thực trong tù, HT không chịu nổi nên được đưa xuống ga Nha Trang, về tạm ở Phật học viện Hải Ðức. Ít lâu sau công an lại ra lệnh HT phải về chùa Già Lam ở Sài-gòn, không được phép ở Nha Trang. Hòa thượng từ chối, viết một lá thư gửi cho nhà cầm quyền, nói “một là tôi tự do ở đâu tôi muốn, hai là vào tù trở lại, chứ mấy ông không thể thả tôi ra khỏi nhà tù nhỏ để nhốt tôi vào nhà tù lớn hơn là cả đất nước này”. Tin này lập tức được loan truyền trên báo chí hải ngoại thời đó.

Trước sau, Hòa thượng đã lãnh một án tử hình, 17 năm tù đày và ba lần bị quản thúc, trải qua các nhà tù khắc nghiệt khắp nam trung bắc. Tuy nhiên điều đó vẫn không thể thay đổi được một người đã quyết tâm sống trọn vẹn với những giá trị mình đã lựa chọn, và vẫn giữ được lòng thanh thản bao dung không chút oán hận của Thầy.

Tháng 4 năm 1999, Hòa thượng Thích Quảng Ðộ đề cử Hòa thượng Thích Tuệ Sỹ làm Tổng Thư Ký Viện Hóa Ðạo GHPGVNTN.

Năm 2002, với trách nhiệm Đệ Nhất Phó Viện Trưởng Viện Hóa Ðạo, Hòa thượng Thích Tuệ Sỹ là một trong những nhà lãnh đạo Giáo Hội Phật Giáo Việt Nam Thống Nhất, là người đóng góp rất nhiều cùng với nhị vị Hòa Thượng Thích Huyền Quang và Thích Quảng Ðộ trong công cuộc đấu tranh đòi hỏi quyền tự do tôn giáo tại Việt Nam, nhất là quyền phục hoạt của Giáo hội Phật giáo Việt Nam Thống nhất.

Những lời tuyên bố của người tù lương tâm tôn giáo Thích Tuệ Sỹ tại tòa án, cũng như khí phách kiên cường lúc trong tù, là tấm gương sáng, là niềm tự hào của Phật giáo và của dân tộc: “Lập trường của chúng tôi là lập trường của Phật giáo, là lập trường của toàn khối dân tộc.” Ðối với Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ, sức mạnh của Phật giáo không phải là Chính trị, mà là Văn hóa và Xã hội, trong đó Giáo dục có vai trò rất quan trọng. Nhưng công cuộc giáo dục này phải do Giáo hội độc lập đề ra, không thể chịu sự kiểm soát hay áp đặt của bất cứ thế lực nào, thì mới mong đào tạo ra những thế hệ tăng ni có tài đức để phụng sự xã hội, xứng danh trong hàng Tăng Bảo.

Tiếp đến, đầu tháng 3/2003, Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ khâm lệnh Đại lão Hòa thượng Thích Huyền Quang, từ nơi bị quản thúc tại Quảng Hương Già-lam, Thầy đã tháp tùng Hòa thượng Thích Huyền Quang ra Hà Nội chữa bệnh và chuẩn bị gặp Thủ tướng đương thời là ông Phan Văn Khải, để yêu cầu ngài Thủ tướng giải quyết việc đã đình chỉ sinh hoạt của GHPGVNTN từ sau năm 1975, cũng như sự cấm đoán, quản chế không xét xử bản thân Hòa thượng cùng với HT. Thích Quảng Độ và một số Tăng ni, Phật tử khác. Trong dịp này, đại diện ngoại giao của 6 nước thành viên Khối Liên Âu và Hoa Kỳ tại Hà Nội đã chủ động tìm gặp Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ, mời Hòa thượng đến thăm, làm việc tại trụ sở ngoại giao của phái bộ Liên Âu ở Hà Nội. Họ đón Hòa thượng đi một mình, không có thị giả, người phiên dịch.

Ngày 01/10/2003, Hòa thượng đã cùng nhị vị Hòa thượng Thích Huyền Quang, Thích Quảng Độ tổ chức Đại hội bất thường GHPGVNTN tại Tu viện Nguyên Thiều, Bình Định. Sau Đại hội này, hai vị Đại lão Hòa thượng cũng như Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ và một số Tăng ni tham dự đã bị nhà cầm quyền quản chế mỗi người một nơi, giám sát chặt chẽ. Tuy nhiên với tinh thần ‘uy vũ bất năng khuất’, Hòa thượng đã sát cánh cùng nhị vị HT Thích Huyền Quang, Thích Quảng Độ ủy thác cho các GHPGVNTN Hải ngoại tổ chức Đại hội bất thường GHPGVNTN tại Tu Viện Quảng Đức, Melbourne, Úc Châu trong cùng năm 2003. Chính Đại hội này đã công bố đầy đủ nhân sự lãnh đạo Giáo hội trong nước và hải ngoại, và toàn thể Tăng ni Phật tử đã suy tôn Đại lão HT Thích Huyền Quang lên ngôi vị Đệ tứ Tăng thống GHPGVNTN.

Năm 2008, đức Đệ Tứ Tăng thống GHPGVNTN Thích Huyền Quang viên tịch. Ngôi vị được trao lại cho Đại lão HT Thích Quảng Độ truyền thừa, là Đệ Ngũ Tăng thống GHPGVNTN.

Từ đây, Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ được yên tâm dành hết thời gian và sức lực cho công việc trước tác, phiên dịch Phật ngôn, và đào tạo từng nhóm tăng ni đủ trình độ nghiên cứu Phật học, phiên dịch kinh điển sau này. Trong thời gian này HT đã hoàn thành phiên dịch, hiệu đính 4 bộ kinh A-hàm, kinh Duy-ma-cật sở thuyết, bộ Luật Tứ phần, các bộ Luận Thành Duy Thức, A-tì-đạt-ma Câu-xá, và nhiều trước tác khác…

Tháng 03/ 2019, Đại lão HT Đệ Ngũ Tăng thống GHPGVNTN dự tri thời chí, biết sức khỏe không còn nhiều, Ngài đã mời HT Thích Tuệ Sỹ đến gặp tại chùa Từ Hiếu, quận 8, Sài Gòn để phú chúc di ngôn và ấn tín của Viện Tăng thống GHPGVNTN, ủy nhiệm Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ lãnh đạo, xử lý thường vụ Viện Tăng thống sau khi Ngài viên tịch.

Đến tháng 02/2020 Đại lão HT Đệ Ngũ Tăng thống GHPGVNTN thuận thế vô thường, an nhiên thị tịch tại chùa Từ Hiếu. Lúc này, HT Thích Tuệ Sỹ đang chữa trọng bệnh tại Nhật Bản và bị mắc kẹt tại đây do đại dịch Covid, không thể về nước.

Tháng 10/2020 ngay khi có lại các chuyến bay thương mại, Hòa thượng là một trong số người đầu tiên về nước, dù lúc đó các bác sĩ Nhật Bản khuyên nên ở lại chữa trị, nếu không thì cuộc sống không thể kéo dài quá 6 tháng.

Qua năm 2021, đại dịch Covid bùng phát trở lại ở châu Á trong đó có Việt Nam, mà nặng nhất là Sài-gòn. Với sự phong tỏa chống dịch nghiêm ngặt của chính quyền, mọi dịch vụ y tế lúc đó bị đình trệ ngoại trừ việc chữa bệnh Covid, tuy nhiên Hòa thượng vẫn kiên trì mạnh mẽ chống chọi cơn bạo bệnh để hàng ngày vẫn ngồi bên bàn dịch Kinh, hiệu đính các tác phẩm, tổ chức sắp xếp thư mục cho công trình phiên dịch Đại tạng kinh Việt Nam được thực hiện theo đúng tiêu chuẩn học thuật quốc tế.

Tháng 11/2021 Ngài chủ trì Đại hội lần thứ nhất của Hội đồng Hoằng pháp, quyết định thành lập Hội đồng Phiên dịch Tam tạng Lâm thời để kế thừa Hội đồng Phiên dịch Tam tạng do chư tôn Trưởng lão Hội đồng Giáo phẩm Trung ương – Viện Tăng thống GHPGVNTN đã thành lập từ năm 1973 nhưng sau đó bị gián đoạn do chiến tranh và nhiều chướng duyên khác.

Ngày 03/12/2021 Hội đồng Phiên dịch Tam tạng Lâm thời chính thức được thành lập theo Thông bạch số 11/VTT/VP. Từ đây, công việc phiên dịch, hiệu đính, chứng nghĩa chuyết văn và tổ chức in ấn được đẩy mạnh, thảy thảy đều theo quy củ đã định, để cuối cùng hình thành 29 tập đầu tiên được khởi in trong năm 2022, với công đức dự phần của các bậc Tôn túc cho đến Tăng ni, Phật tử trong và ngoài nước, đặt nền móng cho công trình Đại Tạng Kinh VN chính thức được tiếp nối từ Hội nghị Toàn thể Hội đồng Phiên dịch Tam tạng tháng 10/1973.

Qua năm 2022:

Ngày 21/8, tại chùa Phật Ân, Long Thành, Đồng Nai, Hội đồng Giáo phẩm Trung ương GHPGVNTN đã suy cử HT. Thích Tuệ Sỹ đảm nhiệm trách vụ Chánh thư ký kiêm Xử lý thường vụ Viện Tăng Thống.

Tiếp ngày 22/8 tại chùa Từ Hiếu, quận 8, Sài-gòn, đã cử hành lễ truyền trao ấn tín và khai ấn Viện Tăng Thống cho Hòa thượng.

Từ đó, Hòa thượng đã dành hết thời gian và sức khỏe còn lại để chuyên tâm phiên dịch kinh tạng, hiệu đính, chứng nghĩa cho các dịch phẩm của hàng hậu bối.

Những ngày cuối đời, từ giường bệnh, Hòa thượng đã cẩn thận sắp xếp, dặn dò những việc cần làm của GHPGVNTN cũng như công trình phiên dịch Đại Tạng Kinh Việt Nam cho các Hội đồng, sau đó đã thuận thế vô thường thâu thần thị tịch tại chùa Phật Ân, huyện Long Thành, tỉnh Đồng Nai, Việt Nam, vào lúc 16:00 giờ, ngày 24 tháng 11 năm 2023, nhằm ngày 12 tháng 10 năm Quý Mão, trụ thế 79 năm, giới lạp 46[*].

Sự ra đi của Hòa thượng không chỉ là mất mát lớn lao của GHPGVNTN mà còn là niềm đau chung của Phật giáo Việt Nam, cũng như là sự khuất bóng đáng tiếc của một anh tài tinh hoa Dân tộc; nhưng di sản Văn hóa, Giáo dục to lớn mà Hòa thượng để lại xứng đáng làm tư lương tối thiết cho hành giả và học giả muôn đời sau.

Nam mô Từ Lâm Tế Chánh tông tứ thập tứ thế, Việt Nam Phật Giáo Thống Nhất Giáo Hội, Tăng Thống Viện Chánh Thư Ký Xử lý Thường Vụ, húy thượng NGUYÊN hạ CHỨNG, hiệu TUỆ SỸ, Trưởng lão Hòa thượng Giác linh thùy từ chứng giám.

Sài Gòn ngày 24/11 năm 2023.
Môn đồ Pháp quyến

[*] Giới lạp là lấy số năm thọ Cụ túc làm tuổi; hạ lạp là lấy số năm an cư kết hạ làm tuổi. Giới lạp của Hòa thượng Tuệ Sỹ nếu tính từ khi thọ đại giới (1973) đến khi viên tịch (2023) là 50 năm; nhưng khi còn sinh tiền, Hòa thượng có căn dặn là trừ bớt 4 năm lang thang bất định và ở tù mà Hòa thượng tự xét là “giới thể có thể bị ảnh hưởng, không thanh tịnh.” Vì lẽ đó, môn đồ pháp quyến phụng mệnh ân sư, chỉ ghi 46 giới lạp.

Hiển thị thêm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button